If you are just starting out as a new homeschooler (or would like a refresher!), then this is for you!
Starting out as a new homeschooler can be a daunting task, with pressure to choose the perfect curricula, administer tests, keep records, remain compliant with the law, deciding on teaching style and which educational methods will be the most productive, as well as managing and orchestrating a busy home. It’s more than enough to overwhelm any parent! If you are just beginning (or simply looking for a refresher), then the New to Homeschooling track is for you. It’s a full day of homeschool intro sessions that will address the issues you will face as a new homeschooler. From homeschool veterans sharing their years of wisdom and experience to Q&A panels that will answer all of your questions, you will be enriched, encouraged, and equipped for your homeschool journey.
This track runs all day on Thursday and runs on a different schedule than other conference workshops. We recommend planning to attend the entire track to gain the full benefit of each session.
- 8:30 – 10:00 am: General Session
- 10:00 – 10:15 am: Transition to room Expo G-4
- 10:15 – 11:10 am: Foundational Principles and Vision for Homeschooling, Stephen Craig
- You’ve heard the phrase, “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will take you there.” In this session, we will lay a solid foundation by giving a clear vision and sound Biblical principles to start you on the right track as you begin your homeschooling journey.
- 11:10 – 12:05 pm: Getting Started, Vicki Bentley
- Are you overwhelmed by the homeschooling options? Not sure where to begin? Good planning is the key to any successful road trip, so, in this talk, Vicki will walk you through a planning checklist to help you prepare for this homeschool journey! Topics in this workshop are research, goal setting, supplies, schedules, plus Six Tips for Success, and more. (Appropriate for any grade level.)
- 12:05 – 12:35 pm: Break for lunch (we recommend bringing a sack lunch)
- 12:35 – 1:30 pm: How to Homeschool Legally in Colorado, Stephen Craig
- This workshop is for you if you know you want to homeschool, but you’re not sure how to do it legally. We will cover the legal requirements of Colorado’s Homeschool Law so that you can be confident that you are homeschooling legally! Perhaps you have heard that Colorado Law also allows families to homeschool under the umbrella of a private school, such as the CHEC Independent School. We will cover the basics of this option as wel.
- 1:30 – 2:25 pm: Exploring Curriculum Options, Vicki Bentley
- Join Vicki, who homeschooled 17 students and is a curriculum counselor for a statewide homeschool organization, as she shares the secrets to mapping out a successful course of study for your children. This workshop helps beginners to get a solid start in home education, encourages veterans to re-examine goals and priorities, and includes a basic overview of different teaching approaches.
- 2:25 – 2:35 pm: Break
- 2:35 – 3:30 pm: Organized (Well, Almost!)—Time Management for Busy Moms, Vicki Bentley
- As a busy mom, do you sometimes struggle with lesson planning, keeping the house somewhat presentable, teaching, keeping up with the laundry, AND getting dinner on the table the same day you homeschool? Come hear practical tips and encouragement from a fellow homeschool mom of many. Your husband and children will thank you, and you will have hope for another day of science and language arts!